Saturday, May 12, 2012

Employment opportunities in Cambodia and Thailand

Last week, Prime Minister Hun Sen called for Cambodians to take up
opportunities in booming agriculture and construction industries in
Cambodia.

Chea Vuthy, communication officer for the Council for the Development
of Cambodia said,
"If you cannot find a job, come to the MINISTRY OF LABOR, there are
many, many jobs in Cambodia."

Dave Welsh, country director for the American Centre for International
Labour Solidarity agrees that construction, garment and other sectors
need workers.
He said a lack of marketing and the constant flouting of the laws and
contracts make Cambodian jobs unattractive or invisible to the people.

YET EVERYDAY THOUSANDS of Khmers apply for work in Thailand.
Five to seven thousand people a day go to the Phnom Penh passport office.

Passport applicant Sem Pheaktra said,
"A recruiter convinced me to work in Thailand.
I don't need to pay for the passport because the recruiter will get
part of my salary.
Here I can only farm and cannot improve my living standard," he said.
He believes he will earn about $200 a month.
He will become a migrant worker and sees this as an opportunity.

Cambodian passport cost 160 USD.

Another applicant Khom Seiha said:
"I will go to work in Thailand. I can work in electronics,
construction, seasoning products or canning food. I will earn about
$300 a month. In Cambodia I only earn $61 a month. If I stay here I
am poor. To leave is the only way to support my family. I am worried
about my safety there."

Cambodians are told lies, abused, and must work like slaves.

A waiting mother fears for her son who is applying for his passport.
Her son cannot recall the name of the recruitment company he signed with.
"I do not know what kind of job I will get. The company did not tell
me. They want me to get my passport," he said.
His mother was agitated. "I cannot force him to stay. He gets a low
salary here. I am afraid for his safety." she said.

Chea Manith, a border agent, said many Cambodians are sent back
without documents.
There were 18,700 sent back in April 2012, an huge jump from 8,700 in March.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/print/293060/